Sometimes I just see a piece of furniture and no matter how bad it looks it’s just calling out to me to be restored!
let me start from the beginning, months ago we decided we would move and since I am an over thinker but I promise I come by it honestly just like my hoarding, a little known fact about me i over think everything so naturally I began to think of all the things we would need that I could find cheap and make to match what I have already stored away. Well a wide dresser was on my list but none had jumped out at me so I had given up my search to go about other things for a while. Well several weeks ago I was cruising our local free and for sale items and came across an ad for a cheap dresser, As you can see below the picture was quite dark and it didn’t look to bad especially not for $30.
Little did I know at the time this dresser would become a pain in my back side the second I agreed to buy it and pick it up. The dreser was wet and falling apart, things that were never mentioned, I still wanted to take it home because I knew under all that paint (6 layers) was something beautiful I could love for years to come.
After much hard work and lot’s of scraping I realized that beyond the paint was this discusting layer of old varnish that was not budging (pictured above). Though the heat gun removed all layers of paint it just couldn’t tackle the varnish.
Though this isn’t half bad of a mid point with such a mess top have started with. As you can can see it was once a nice dark color before being white, red, cream, blue, black and silver.Anyway next step was to apply a very generous amount of citrus peel AKA orange slime to the dresser and drawers. Many coats were applied before I got any results but soon I had a nearly bare dresser ready to be sanded.
I used both the belt and palm sander on the whole thing to give a nice smooth surface and also to clean up some water damaged spots that were rough I also decided to puty up all but one lock hole since the locks were in such bad shape. Sadly I didn’t remember to take a picture of it sanded but once we got it sanded we realized it was made of oak!
Next was paint and stain, I went with a cream gloss for the body and my favorite stand by Red Mahogany 225 for the top.
And at this point it was done! Let me just say this thing was so heavy and wide moving it into my bedroom was a nightmare, it almost didn’t fit in my bedroom door!
Last was buying knobs, this was a task I knew would eat of the budget for this project.
I first was going to go with this blue one as I thought it went well with the stain and paint but Jessie wasn’t a fan.
So after searching through what they had we ended up buying two of these to see if we liked them and they were perfect! But since the store quoted me $50 on those ones we had to wait for them last and luckily about the time it was done they went on sale and I was able to get the rest of them for only $25!
After the knobs were on it was all finished and ready to be used, I love how it looks with some of my mom’s old things and some of my thrifted goodies on it.
Here is my cost break down for this project.
Plastic to cover work area: had on hand.
Heat Gun: had on hand.
2 jugs of Citrus strip $23.50.
Sanders: had on hand.
Can of wood putty: had on hand.
Sand paper: $5.00.
6 Cans of Valspar Premium spray paint in Gloss Lovely Bluff: $30.00.
Can of Wood Stain in Red Mahogony 225: Had on hand.
Can of poly spray in gloss: had on hand.
Total cost of this project: Roughly $123.50.
Thanks for reading!